Getting here

Today, you can reach Skagway by road via the South Klondike Highway. The highway is open year-round and connects Skagway to the Yukon.  The Alaska Marine Highway connects Skagway as far south as Bellingham, Washington and lots of little towns in between.  Skagway is also served by scheduled and charter air services from Whitehorse, Juneau and Haines. Nearly 800,000 visitors arrive to Skagway each year via cruise ship.


By Plane

A 45-minute commuter flight from Skagway, Juneau is the primary domestic air entry point for Southeast Alaska and travelers on the Inside Passage. Juneau, the state capital, is served by Alaska Airlines and Delta Airlines from Seattle or Anchorage. Skagway is 45 minutes from Juneau by air and is served by scheduled and/or charter service from Juneau and Haines.  Scheduled carriers serving Skagway are:

Alaska Seaplanes



By Boat

Skagway is the northern terminus of the Alaska’s Marine Highway System. A fleet of car carrying vessels serves all of Southeast Alaska. Northbound travelers can access the system at Bellingham, Washington and Prince Rupert, British Columbia; southbound travelers usually embark at Skagway or Haines. Each vessel has an observation lounge, food service and a solarium where camping is allowed free of charge. Mainline vessels also feature stateroom accommodations.

Alaska Marine Highway

Toll Free 1-800-642-0066


By Road

Skagway is connected to the Yukon Territory, Canada, and the contiguous 48 states via the Klondike Highway, which is paved, maintained year round, and rated for overweight trucks. If you are traveling by car or a RV, you’ll join the growing number of visitors who travel the Alaska Highway each year. Skagway is only 112 miles south from the Alaska Highway, via the South Klondike Highway. This modern two-lane highway is an easy drive, and passes through the historic community of Carcross – gas, food and other visitor services available – and past the ruins of the Venus Mine on Windy Arm of Tagish Lake. In order to cross the US/Canada border you must have one of the following: Passport; NEXUS card; FAST card; EDL or EIC from a province or territory where a U.S. approved EDL/EIC program has been implemented. Persons 18 and under must have a birth certificate.

US Customs & Immigration

(907) 983-2325

Skagway, Alaska
Border Hours

7 am – 11 pm (Alaska time) Year-round

Canada Customs

(867) 821-4111

Fraser, British Columbia Border Hours

Hours 8 am – midnight (Yukon time) Year-round